Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Costner: Inertia

It occurred to me today as I was walking across the flats in town center that folks just float through here. I will be charging hard down the street when a Chinese man will make eye contact with me, there standing right in front of my path of movement. He's moving slow and is moving in such a way that we will collide in just a moment. I slightly alter course and charge by, him looking at me, mostly expressionless but maybe grinning very slightly, content that he has ceded nothing and I have moved to make way for him. I am not sure whether this float, this kind of inertia toward which bodies in motion tend to stay in motion in China, I am not sure from where it comes from. I do know that the woo shoo arts of martial combat that in which I see the young men partake involves not so much the use of force, but the use of your opponent's force against them. Using the force from the system to beat the system: this does not seem unlike what happened with the man today.

No comments: