Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mr. Clean

I can't speak for other gyms, but at mine there's a Mr. Clean. And by a Mr. Clean, I mean a few different guys who very closely resemble a Chinese version of Mr. Clean. I know for a fact that there are multiple Mr. Clean's as sometimes they come to the gym at the same time. He's characterized by a couple different features:
  • 50-60 years old, from my guess (maybe older)
  • high-end gear, usually including knee braces and lifting gloves
  • day-time, non-lunchtime lifting, perhaps a retiree
  • FUBU- or Sean John-style street jersey
  • frequent phone calls while on treadmill or stationary bike
  • spends a lot of time working out, but also a lot of time chatting
  • very loud conversational tone of voice
  • putting up some impressive weight and not afraid to exert himself despite age
  • smiling and willing to throw you a spot, especially when you're lifting less than him
  • always, always the shaved head
Here's to you, Mr. Clean. It's been tough keeping up with you around the bench press. God knows I will not be attacking the weight room like that when I'm your age!

No comments: