Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"armpit"

In an attempt to replace Chinglish with more native English, we go over American slang in class. Today's slang was "armpit"--as in "this place is a real armpit," "wow, what an armpit!"

After everyone got a laugh at me showing of my amazing, well-formed pits, I explained the figurative meaning of the term using a story of a town I drove through this one time where, in the town diner, the chef had nosehair down to his knees, and how the town dump was right next to the public pool. Needless to say, they got the point.

I ask for original sentences using the term, "armpit," from each of the students, most of them choosing to describe their parents' hometowns--as they described, rural places where animals and people lived together, where animal feces was everywhere, and where everything is dirty. Ivan went so far as to say, "Beijing is an armpit."

No comments: