Saturday, April 6, 2013

Aliens

The AC turns off at 6am at the Tohko resort and it gets hot in the bamboo cabin quickly after that. Convection caused by the sun doesn't come up until later in the day, so the breeze that I'm getting now typing this at the little shoreside restaurant wasn't there a few hours ago. To wake up, I grabbed a set of goggles from the rack, all the good pairs had been taken earlier in the day by island hoppers and the snorkels that were left were brown and dirty. Without breathing apparatus I jump in the water and doggy paddle along, seeing a few fish right as I dunk under. Huge bluepurple iridescent clams  muscled closed as I saw above them. Just below the water surface, I was surrounded by an alien world of life that you could not imagine by looking at the waves above. The sea was cloudy with millions of tiny plankton and krill. Huge schools of fish with bumblebee colors swam over and around me. As I neared the point where the reef drops off into the deep sea, I looked out on the blue abyss and felt like I was flying.

No comments: